Conyngham Borough is located in southern Luzerne County and is part of the 14th Congressional District and 116th Legislative District. The borough is located at 40.991N latitude and 76.056W longitude. Its elevation is 951 feet.
The borough was carved from present-day Sugarloaf Township. It is named after Gustavus Conyngham, a hero of the Revolutionary War and cousin to Redmond Conyngham, a State Senator from Luzerne County in the 1820′s. Gustavus Conyngham served in the Continental Navy during the Revolutionary War. He captained several vessels that harassed British shipping and garnered much-needed supplies for the Colonial cause.
The War for Independence played another important role in the history of Conyngham. On September 11, 1780, the land known today as Conyngham Borough was the site of the Sugarloaf Massacre. British loyalists and American Indians surprised and slaughtered a small company of American soldiers led by Captain Daniel Klader. The Sugarloaf Massacre was on of a series of bloody engagements fought in the frontier of Northeastern Pennsylvania, which included the Wyoming Valley Massacre near Wilkes-Barre.
Today, a historic monument near Main Street memorializes the Sugarloaf Massacre. A bronze plaque bears the names of the fifteen men who lost their lives more than 225 years ago and still rest beneath the hallowed ground near Little Nescopeck Creek.
Settlers began arriving in the area shortly after the Sugarloaf Massacre. They were drawn to the area by the reports of fertile plains surrounded by abundant woods and streams filled with wild game and fish. These settlers traveled the “warrior’s path,” which is roughly the same route Broad Street in nearby Hazleton travels today.
Logging and milling were two of the first industries to find a home in Conyngham, clearing land for settlements and farming. Many of the same family names of the early pioneers can still be found in Conyngham today.
Today, Conyngham Borough is a “bedroom” community of slightly more than one square mile with a population of 1958 according to the 2000 census. The mostly residential borough, incorporated in 1901, has a small downtown area with shops and restaurants.
The town park, Whispering Willows, is a gathering place for public and private events throughout the year. The George Ernst pool, owned and run by the Conyngham Valley Civic Organization, is located near the park, making it a popular location for children and adults during the pleasant summer months.
Conyngham Borough is protected by a dedicated police force and volunteer fire department.
On behalf of the Mayor and council of Conyngham Borough, we wish all residents and visitors an enjoyable stay in our community.